Sorry, your fancy coffee latte, WFH, flex time, cool team events, and company e-bike does not cut it.
Many companies currently jump on the band wagon of „New Work“ and promote their “new” way of working together along with some hip incentives. Working from home or anywhere is all cool. But why does that matter?
The real question is this: What’s the work environment like, and what are my opportunities?
- What are the beliefs that influence behavior (culture)?
- What is the prevailing mindset?
- What are the values that leaders and managers adhere to and embrace?
In other words:
- Will I be able to make decisions that impact the quality and outcome of my work, or do I have to ask for permission every time? (trust, responsibility)
- Do you support new ideas and let me try them, or are you hesitant towards innovation and unwilling to rock the boat? (risk tolerance, mindset)
- Do you assess and appraise my performance by my outcome and value, or do you track my tasks and monitor my working hours? (accountability, performance)
- Do you promote people according to their ambition and results, or do they have to pass through a default career model? (personal development)
If you want to attract and retain the best and the brightest focus on the fundamentals of a great work environment that creates fulfillment, fosters personal growth, provides exciting opportunities, and most importantly is a lot of fun!