“I got my resume out” might be a phrase you hear more and more often from friends and colleagues. This is a time with ample opportunities for ambitious and qualified people to find new and exciting ways to apply their talents and skills.
Loyalty does not keep people. It is engagement that they seek.
The simple truth is that people leave people, not companies. As a leader and manager, you need to ask yourself whether you have the gravity to keep and attract people or if they rather lift off and leave.
Here are five questions to evaluate your gravity:
1) Do you provide an environment where people can grow and apply their talents and strengths?
2) Do you empower people and allow them to make decisions that impact the outcome of their work?
3) Do you give them autonomy and let them decide about their time?
4) Do you lead with vision and provide a clear picture of the future?
5) Do you engage with your people regularly and know what’s on their minds?
The most revealing and best question to start with is this: “Hey John, tell me, are you having fun at work?”